Here at Savoir, we know the importance of a good night's sleep - and as you may have noticed, we like to share a Friday Sleep Fact each week. With this in mind, today we're sharing a round-up of our favourite fascinating facts about sleep!
1) Teenagers need between 8.5 and 9.25 hours of sleep per night - slightly more than a fully grown adult.
2) If it takes you less than 5 minutes to fall asleep then it's likely you're sleep deprived - the ideal time is just 10 minutes.
3) Recent research found that a massive 40% of people have always slept on the same side of the bed.
4) A study found that after 17-19 hrs without sleep, people perform similarly to those close to the drink driving limit.
5) A python needs a massive 18 hours of sleep a day.
6) Some animals have to wake from hibernation just to get some sleep.
7) Getting too little sleep often makes people feel hungrier than normal, leading to overeating and weight gain.
8) Sleeping directly after learning something new will improve your ability to remember it effectively.
9) The record for the longest period without sleep is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes.
10) One job in early English mill and factory towns was to knock on people's windows to wake them up for work.
11) No-one knows for sure if other species dream but some do have sleep cycles similar to human.
12) We tend to sleep a few minutes less per night around a full moon.
There you have it! Check our Twitter account every Friday for more fascinating facts about sleep!